Individual Notes
Note for: Edmund Stansfield Rawson, 24 APR 1845 - 4 AUG 1911
Index
Occupation: Date: 1882
Place: Mayor of Mackay, Queensland, Australia
Emigration: Date: 1864
Place: Queensland, Australia
Individual Note: Source - FreeBMD
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Jun 1875
HARRISON Margaret Decima C Easington 10a656
Rawson Edmund Stansfeld Easington 10a656
Robinson Jane Easington 10a656
Rowe John Merriman Easington 10a656
======================================
Source - IGI Individual Record
Edmund Stansfield Rawson
Male
Event(s):
Birth: 24 APR 1845 Gaylesyke, , Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Death:
Burial:
Parents:
Father: Charles Stansfield Rawson
Mother: Octavia Collinson
Marriages:
Spouse: Margaret D. Crawford
Marriage: 05 MAY 1875
======================================
Source - 1891, 1901 England & Wales Census
Not found.
======================================
Source - Mackay Historical Society & Museum Incorporated
http://www.geocities.com/ghh_mackay/mayors/mayors.html
Mayor of Mackay 1882
Edmund Stansfield(Ned) Rawson
1882
Born: 24 April 1845, Gaylesyke, Yorkshire, England; son of Charles Stanfield RAWSON and Octavia COLLINSON.
Married: to Margaret Decima Crawford HARRISON.
Died: 4 August 1911, London, England, aged 66 years.
Buried: ?
See the John Oxley Library Collection of the Rawson Archives
OBITUARY.
EDWARD STANSFIELD RAWSON
A letter was received by Mr. Wm. Robertson of "The Hollow" from Mr. Charles C. Rawson, announcing the death of his brother, Edward Stansfield Rawson, which occurred in London on the 4th August last, after nine or twelve months' illness.
The name of the Rawson's is closely associated with the early history of Mackay right back in fact to the first days when settlement was taking place.
It was sometime in the late sixties when the two brothers Edward and Charles sold out their interests in Tenningering station on the Burnett, and coming to Mackay took up "The Hollow" station, Mirani.
While conducting this property as a cattle station, they opened butchery at "The Hermitage" opposite the hospital. Mr. J.C. Binney of this town was their manager, and he assisted by the brothers erected the Hermitage building with the steep roof on the property opposite the Hospital, Mr. Geo. Voysey having shown them how to put on the shingles.
In 1872 and '73 Edward Rawson conducted the butchery in partnership with the late Robert Martin of Mandarana, and in 1874 Mr. Martin's interest in the partnership was taken up by Mr. Frances Meynell.
It was then that Mr. Binney resigned to become Town Clerk.
His brother having left to reside in England, Mr. Edward Rawson subsequently engaged in commercial pursuits in Mackay, in partnership with Mr. Stewart, as general commission and shipping agents. It was while conducting this business (1883) that he built the wharf and store on the site of the eastern end of the present Adelaide wharf, which was known right into the nineties as "Rawson's wharf."
During his residence in Mackay, the late Edward Rawson was largely interested in the management and success of public institutions.
He was specially gifted in many ways and took a prominent part in amateur theatricals.
In 1882 and part of 1883 he filled the office of Mayor of Mackay, a position he subsequently resigned.
He was Vice-President of the Mackay Turf Club for a number of years. Also a trustee of Holy Trinity, Mackay, of which he was also a lay reader.
Some time in 1893 an effort was made to form the Hollow property into a limited liability company, for the purpose of subdividing and selling or letting the lands for sugar growing, the intention being to have a sugar mill in some central part of the estate but owing to adverse legislation in connection with the recruiting of Polynesian labour for the plantations and the bank crisis at that time, the effort failed.
Shortly afterwards (1894) Edward Rawson joined his brother in England, and entering into partnership with a Mr. Clayton, commenced business in Cockspur Street, as general agents.
He remained in London ever since.
The late Edward Rawson leaves a wife and three daughters, one of whom was married nearly two years ago in London. Both the Rawson brothers were married to sisters, the misses Harrison, the daughters of an English clergyman.
The late Mr. Edward Rawson was an undergraduate of Cambridge University, and a man of singularly refined and artistic instincts, endowed with a most lovable disposition, and with considerable pretensions to literary and artistic abilities. Indeed the contributions from his pen on local topics in years gone by, especially on humorous subjects, were always looked forward to and keenly appreciated, by not only his circle of intimates, but also the community generally.
He was the firmest and most loyal of friends; in fact the beau ideal of a kindly, cultured English gentleman, and his memory will always be cherished and kept green as well by those of his old and intimate friends in Mackay (whose number by the way, is sadly lessening as time goes on) as by those with whom the names of Charley and Ned Rawson were synonymous with all that is kindly and lovable in human nature.
Apropos of his literary abilities, many of his Australian sketches appeared in the leading London magazines, in one of which (republished three years ago in the "Daily Mercury") the central figure was old "Tommy" Richardson now dead.
The Rawson brothers were cousins of the late Admiral Sir Harry Rawson (Governor of New South Wales), while they were also related to Admiral Collinson of exploring fame, after whom Charles Collinson Rawson was named.
The late Edward Rawson was about 63 years of age, and although such a span of years has elapsed since he left Mackay, quite a number of residents still remembered his sterling abilities, for within half an hour of the news being received in town by Mr. Frank Smith yesterday, the flags at the principle business houses and the Town Hall were fluttering at half-mast, a last tribute to one who had led an honourable career, and had helped to shape the destinies of this town and district.
Source:
Daily Mercury, September 1911
Sources:
Kerr, John. (1980). Pioneer Pageant. Mackay, QLD: Pioneer Shire Council.
p.12-14, 64,90, 93
Ling Roth, Henry. (1908). The Discovery and Settlement of Port Mackay; Halifax, U.K: F. King & sons Ltd.
p. 51, 53, 55, 57, 59, 75, 76, 85
The Daily Mercury, September 1911
International Genealogical Index ; www.familysearch.org
======================================
Source - Rawson Archive, State Library of Queensland
http://www.rawson.slq.qld.gov.au
Rawson Family
The brothers returned to England to marry, Charles marrying Winifred and Edmund marrying Decima.
Charles and Winifred had four boys, three of whom survived to adulthood. The antics of the two eldest boys are portrayed throughout the diaries and albums. Charles (Paddy) and Lionel or (Plum Bun) are depicted with their favourite toys and pets. Their birthdays and first tottering steps are charmingly illustrated.
Edmund and Decima produced three girls named Beatrice, Sybil, and Dorothy. They lived at The Nyth, a house built next door to The Hollow.
Both Edmund and Charles and their respective families moved between England and Australia. Charles died in the old country in 1928 and Edmund in 1911. The Hollow cattle station partnership was dissolved in 1914.
http://www.rawson.slq.qld.gov.au
===========================
Source - biblio.com online bookstore
A.Patchett Martin, Editor Oak-Bough and Wattle-Blossom
Walter Scott, 1888. stories and sketches by Australians in England: Mrs Campbell Praed; C.Haddon Chambers; Douglas B.W.Sladen; Philip Mennell; Edmund Stansfield Rawson; S.Oldmixon; and the Editor; boards badl damp marked, reading copy only. Hard Cover. (Inventory #14402)
===========================
Source - Queensland Government
http://fhr.slq.qld.gov.au/committees/ra_re.htm
Persons called before Queensland Government Committees (1860-1901) - Surnames beginning with Ra-Re
SurnameGiven NamesOccupation/OtherCaseRefPage
RawsonEdward StansfieldRepresentativie of the Wool Firm in SydneyMackay Railway extension from Mirani to Cattle Creek
===========================
Source - Oak-Bough and Wattle-Blosson, Stories and Sketches by Australians in England; edited by Martin, A. Patchett (Arthur Patchett)(1851-1902); publ. Walter Scott London 1888, 187pp
Introduction
...
The sketch entitled "In the Black Blocks" is by Mr. Edmund Stansfeld [sic] Rawson, one of the most popular squatters in Queensland, who certainly does not commit the common fault of writing on a subject of which he has no personal experience. Mr. Rawson was born at Wastdale, in Cumberland, educated at Durham, and went out to Queensland in 1864 to join his brother Charles, then lord and master of Teningering Station, in the Burnett district, where they had four thousand head of cattle. The brothers Rawson pushed out north in 1866, and took up some country on the Pioneer River, which they stocked with cattle, and where one or other of them has resided ever since. They and their homestead, "The Hollow", near Mackay, are household words in Queensland. I would refer the English reader who may be curious as to the mode of life of an Australian squatter to the description of this place and its owners in the Hounourable Harold Finch - Hatton's Advance Australia To complete the ftaternal picture of these two typical Australian pioneers, I should add that they married two sisters, duaghters of an Englsih clergyman, and that they alternately reside in London, England, and the "The Hollow", Queensland. Mr. Edmind Rawson is far too vigorous a type of the Australian squatter to waste much of his time as an amateur author. But his sketch is at least graphic and taken from life, and the story running through it has merit of being perfectly true from beginning to end.
Individual Notes
Note for: Catherine or Katherine Emily Rawson, ABT 1850 - AFT MAR 1891
Index
Individual Note: Source - 1871 England Census
NameAge in 1871BirthplaceRelationshipCivil ParishCounty/Island
Katherine E Rawson21 Weardale, Cumberland, EnglandNiece St Michael Hertfordshire
Benjamine Hutchinson61 Cranford, St Andrew, Northamptonshire, EnglandHead St Michael Hertfordshirevicar of St. Michael's St. Albans
Mary Ann Hutchinson59 Halifax, Yorkshire, EnglandWife St Michael Hertfordshire<-- Nee Rawson, sister of Charles Rawson, givent the birth town.
Benjamine C Hutchinson31 St Michael's, Hertfordshire, EnglandSon St Michael HertfordshireLeiuitenant of Herts Militia
Ernest R Hutchinson23 St Michael's, Hertfordshire, EnglandSon St Michael HertfordshireUnder Graduate, Oxford
Esther Ellis27 Letchworth, Hertfordshire, EnglandServant St Michael Hertfordshire
Elizabeth Farris25 Woodborough, Wiltshire, EnglandServant St Michael Hertfordshire
Elizabeth A Mawson65 Farmborough, Kent, EnglandServant St Michael Hertfordshire
Living: St. Michael's Vicarage, St. Michaels, Herfordshire
===============================================
Source - IGI Individual Record
Katherine Emily Rawson
Female
Event(s):
Birth: 22 JUN 1849 Boldon, Durham, England
Christening:
Death:
Burial:
Parents:
Father: Charles Stansfield Rawson Family
Mother: Octavia Collinson
Marriages:
Spouse: Ernest Rhodes Hutchinson Family
Marriage: 27 DEC 1871
=================================
Source - FreeBMD
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Dec 1871
Hull Emily St Alban's 3a537
HUTCHINSON Ernest Rhodes St Alban's 3a537
Rawson Katherine Emily St Alban's 3a537
Titmus Charles St Alban's 3a537
=================================
Source - 1881 England Census
Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability
Ernest R. HUTCHINSON Head M Male 33 St Albans, Hertford, England Brewer
Katherine E. HUTCHINSON Wife M Female 31 Wassdale, Cumberland, England
Charles E. HUTCHINSON Son Male 8 Milford, Pembroke, Wales Scholar
Maud HUTCHINSON Daur Female 6 Milford, Pembroke, Wales Scholar
Evelyn HUTCHINSON Daur Female 4 Milford, Pembroke, Wales Scholar
Fanny HUTCHINSON Daur Female 2 Chadwell, Essex, England
John R. HUTCHINSON Son Male 8 m Chadwell, Essex, England
Elizabeth CADWALLADER Serv U Female 31 Manorbier, Pembroke, Wales Domestic Servant
Dwelling Bucklersbury
Census PlaceHitchin, Hertford, England
=================================
Source - FreeBMD Deaths
Deaths Jun 1890
Hutchinson Ernest Rhodes 42 Elham 2a568
Note: Elham is a Kent registration district and includes: Acrise, Cheriton, Elham, Elmsted, Folkestone, Hawkinge, Hythe St. Leonard, Lyminge, Lympne, Monks Horton, Newington, Paddlesworth, Postling, Saltwood, Sandgate, Sellindge, Stanford, Stelling, Stelling Minnis, Stowting, Swingfield.
=================================
Source - 1891 England Census
Hutchinson, Katherine41Wastdale, CumberlandDaughter St Michael Hertfordshire WidowLiving on own means
Hutchinson, Evelyn14Milford, PemDaughter St Michael Hertfordshire
Hutchinson, Fanny12Chadwell, EssexDaughter St Michael Hertfordshire
Hutchinson, John10Hitchin, HertfordshireSon St Michael Hertfordshire
Living: 11, Hill Street, St. Michael's, Hertfordhsire
=================================
Source - 1901 England & Wales Census
Family not found
Individual Notes
Note for: Mary Ann Rawson, 24 APR 1811 - 3 AUG 1880
Index
Individual Note: IGI Individual Record
MARY ANN RAWSON
Female
Event(s):
Birth: 24 APR 1811
Christening: 09 JUN 1811 Halifax, Yorkshire, England
Parents:
Father: STANSFELD RAWSON
Mother: ELIZABETH
Messages:
Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.
=====================================
Source - IGI Individual Record
Mary Anna Rawson
Female
Event(s):
Birth: About 1818 Gledhow, , Yorkshire, England <-- May be Gledholt??
Christening:
Death:
Burial:
Parents:
Father: Stanfield Rawson
Mother: Elizabeth Leach
Marriages:
Spouse: Benjamin Hutchenson
Marriage: 30 MAY 1836
Messages:
Record submitted by a member of the LDS Church.
===========================================
Source - IGI Individual Record
Mary Anne Rawson
Female
Event(s):
Birth:
24 APR 1811 Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Death:
03 AUG 1880
Burial:
Parents:
Father: Stansfield Rawson Family
Mother: Elizabeth Leach
Marriages:
Spouse: Benjamin Hutchinson Family
Marriage:
30 MAY 1836
Messages:
Record submitted by a member of the LDS Church
===============================================
Source - 1871 England Census
NameAge in 1871BirthplaceRelationshipCivil ParishCounty/Island
Katherine E Rawson21 Weardale, Cumberland, EnglandNiece St Michael Hertfordshire
Benjamine Hutchinson61 Cranford, St Andrew, Northamptonshire, EnglandHead St Michael Hertfordshirevicar of St. Michael's St. Albans
Mary Ann Hutchinson59 Halifax, Yorkshire, EnglandWife St Michael Hertfordshire<-- Nee Rawson, sister of Charles Rawson, givent the birth town.
Benjamine C Hutchinson31 St Michael's, Hertfordshire, EnglandSon St Michael HertfordshireLieutenant of Herts Militia
Ernest R Hutchinson23 St Michael's, Hertfordshire, EnglandSon St Michael HertfordshireUnder Graduate, Oxford
Esther Ellis27 Letchworth, Hertfordshire, EnglandServant St Michael Hertfordshire
Elizabeth Farris25 Woodborough, Wiltshire, EnglandServant St Michael Hertfordshire
Elizabeth A Mawson65 Farmborough, Kent, EnglandServant St Michael Hertfordshire
Living: St. Michael's Vicarage, St. Michaels, Herfordshire
===============================================
Source - FreeBMD Deaths
Deaths Sep 1880
Hutchinson Mary Anne 69 St.Albans 3a249
Note: the Hutchinson family was living in St. Michael's near St. Albans.
================================================
Source - 1881 England Census
Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability
Benjamin HUTCHINSON Head W Male 71 Cranford, Northampton, England Vicar Of St Michaels St Albans
Elizabeth MARVIN Servant U Female 63 Farnboro, Kent, England Domestic Servant Housemaid
Mary GRIFFITHS Servant U Female 29 Barton, Pembroke, Wales Domestic Servant Cook
Dwelling Vicarage
Census PlaceSt Albans St Michael, Hertford, England
Individual Notes
Note for: Benjamine Hutchinson, ABT 1810 - BET APR AND JUN 1895
Index
Occupation: Date: 1881
Place: Vicar Of St Michaels St Albans
Occupation: Date: 1891
Place: Clerk in Holy Orders (Vicar of St. Michaels)
Individual Note: Source - FreeBMD Marriages
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1882
Hay Ellen St Geo. H. Sq. 1a519
Hutchinson Benjamin St Geo. H. Sq. 1a519
SMITH William Thomas St. Geo. H. Sq 1a519
WARD Flora Houlton St. Geo. H. Sq 1a519
======================================
Source - 1891 England Census
Hutchinson, Benjamin87Cranford, NorwayHead St Michael Hertfordshire Clerk in Holy Orders (Vicar of St. Michaels)
Hutchinson, Flora H50Tunbridge Wells, KentWife St Michael Hertfordshire
Living: St. Michael's Vicarage, St. Michael, Hertfordshire
======================================
Source - FreeBMD
Possible match?
Deaths Jun 1895
Hutchinson Benjamin 85 Bath 5c417
======================================
Source - 1901 England Census
Not found
Individual Notes
Note for: Benjamine C Hutchinson, ABT 1840 -
Index
Individual Note: Original Source - 1871 England Census
But FreeBMD and IGI suggest he was born in or around 1849:
Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page
Births Sep 1849
HUTCHINSON Benjamin Charles S Albans 6_43
Marriages Dec 1881
HUTCHINSON Benjamin Charles Fulham 1a364
BENJAMIN CHARLES HUTCHINSON
Male
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
22 JUL 1849 Saint Michael, Saint Albans, Hertford, England
Death:
Burial:
Parents:
Father: BENJAMIN HUTCHINSON
Mother: MARY ANNE
Messages:
Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.
======================================
Source - 1881 England & Wales Census
Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability
Benjamin C. HUTCHINSON Head U Male 36 St Albans, Hertford, England Colliery Manager
Mary RICHARDS Serv U Female 25 Neath Abbey, Glamorgan, Wales General Domestic Servant
Source Information:
Dwelling Fairy Land
Census PlaceLlantwit Lower, Glamorgan, Wales
=====================================
Source - FreeBMD
There appears to be only one Benjamin Charles in the country, match?:
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Dec 1881
BLAKE Alfred George Fulham 1a364
HUTCHINSON Benjamin Charles Fulham 1a364
SULLIVAN Charlotte Louisa Fulham 1a364
White Margaret Fulham 1a364
======================================
Source - 1891 England & Wales Census: Not found
Source - 1901 England & Wales Census: Not found
Source - FreeBMD deaths - No Benjamin C or Benjamine found yet.
Individual Notes
Note for: Hon. Rev. Arthur John Chetwynd-Talbot, 12 NOV 1805 - BET JAN AND MAR 1884
Index
Individual Note: See daughter Frances Talbot for more info.
==========================
Source - 1871 Census
TODO: CENSUS not checked
==========================
Source - 1881 England & Wales Census
Not found
===========================
Source - FreeBMD
Deaths Mar 1884
Talbot Arthur Chetwynd 79 Cannock 6b295
Note: Cannock registration area is in Staffordshire and includes: Acton Trussell and Bednall, Brewood, Bushbury, Cannock, Cheslyn Hay, Church Eaton, Coppenhall, Dunston, Essington, Featherstone, Great Wyrley, Hatherton, Hilton, Huntington, Kinvaston, Lapley, Norton Canes, Penkridge, Saredon, Shareshill, Stretton, Teddesley Hay.
Individual Notes
Note for: Wilhelmina F. "Mina" Cahill, -
Index
Individual Note: Wrote Cookery books (perhaps in Australia)
Individual Notes
Note for: Stansfield Rawson, 23 DEC 1778 - 27 NOV 1856
Index
Alias: Stansfeld /Rawson/
Occupation: Place: Banker
Individual Note: Stansfield Rawson is the grandfather of Charles Stansfield who married a Collinson, Octavia Collinson, daugher of the Rector of Gateshead. Grandsons Charles Stansfield Rawson and Edmund Stansfield Rawson made names (and money) for themselves as early settler farmers in Mackay, Queensland before returning to the UK. Another grandson, Harry Rawson, went on to be Admiral Sir Harry Rawson KCB with a distinguished Royal Navy career and governorship of New South Wales.
I don't yet have substantive information on Stansfield himself. He seems to have had connections with royalty and was a wealthy banker. A silhouette of him made by a famous silhouettist William James Hubard exists.
He seems to have owned at least two propeties: at Glasholt near Huddersfield in Yorkshire and Wastdale Hall, Nether Wasdale in Cumberland, which he built in 1829 and is now (2005) a Youth Hostel. Another house nearby Gale Syke was owned by a Charles Rawson, probably son Charles Stansfield Rawson.
==================================
Source - LDS IGI Individual Record
STANSFIELD RAWSON
Male
Marriages:
Spouse: ELIZABETH LEACH
Marriage: 05 MAY 1802 Halifax, Yorkshire, England
Messages:
Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.
==================================
Source - FreeBMD
Deaths Dec 1856
Rawson Stansfeld Whitehaven 10b303
==================================
Source - Family Group Record
Husband
Stansfield Rawson
Birth: 23 DEC 1778 Halifax, Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Marriage: 05 MAY 1802
Death: 27 NOV 1856
Burial:
Father: John Rawson
Mother: Nelly Stansfield
Wife
Elizabeth Leach
Birth: 02 JAN 1782 Clapham, Surrey, England
Christening:
Marriage: 05 MAY 1802
Death: 02 SEP 1806 <--- Huh? She dies before her children are bon
Burial:
Father: Timothy LeachFamily
Mother:
Children
1. Catherine RawsonPedigree
Female
Birth: 03 APR 1803 Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Death: 06 MAR 1885
Burial:
2. Edmund Stansfield RawsonPedigree
Male
Birth: About 1805 Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Death:
Burial:
3. Francis William RawsonPedigree
Male
Birth: 08 JAN 1808 Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Death: 03 AUG 1859
Burial:
4. Delia Elizabeth RawsonPedigree
Female
Birth: 14 JUL 1809 Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Death: 18 JUL 1870
Burial:
5. Mary Anne Rawson
Female
Birth: 24 APR 1811 Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Death: 03 AUG 1880
Burial:
6. Charles Stansfield Rawson
Male
Birth: 20 DEC 1812 Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Death: 03 JUN 1863
Burial:
7. Emma Sarah Rawson
Female
Birth: 15 MAY 1814 Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Death: 06 JAN 1854
Burial:
========================================
Source - Richmond Times-Dispatch, July 7, 1935 http://richmondthenandnow.com/Newspaper-Articles/William-James-Hubard-Silhouette.html
Virginia Enriched by Hubard Silhouette
Secret of Artist's Scissor Ability Revealed 73 Years After His Death,
Adds New Laurels to Already Illustrious Name
By Helen B. McCormick
Seventy-three years after his death the secret that William James Hubard guarded so carefully during his life in Virginia has been revealed. Not that the secret was a guilty one. By no means that. As a matter of fact, the secret was something of which Hubard should have been proud. It was a secret only because the fact that he was a cutter of excellent silhouettes was full of unpleasant associations for Mr. Hubard.
Hubard came to the United States in 1824, after having enjoyed a distinguished career as a silhouettist in England, Ireland, and Scotland. In England, he was permitted to cut the likeness of the "Little Princess Victorine," later to be her majesty, Queen Victoria. In Ireland, so great was the reputation that he had accrued, he was advertised as the "celebrated Master Hubard." In Scotland, he was presented with a silver palette by "admirers of his genius."
All of this recognition and success is the more remarkable when it is known that the recipient of such honors was but 17 years old when he left Great Britain and landed in New York to begin his American career.
William James Hubard was born in Warwick, England, in 1807. His early years are still somewhat of a mystery, but it is said that his talent was made manifest early in his life, when his parents, investigating his unusual attentiveness in church, discovered that what seemed to be piety was merely keen observation of the face of the rector for the purpose of cutting his likeness.
... [deleted]
Now one of Hubard's silhouettes has come to Virginia. Recently an English collector made inquiries of local museums about the American life of this English profilist. An exchange of information resulted, and the courteous Englishman, John C. Woodiwiss of Upper Parkstone, Dorset, has presented the Valentine Museum with an example of Hubard's work. The silhouette, a full-length standing figure of a man, is cut from black paper and pasted on white. The subject is Stansfield Rawson of Wastdale Hall, Cumberland.
========================================
Source -
STRANDS cum Wasdale Hall
[Family:] Rawson [Built:1829]
Built by Stansfield Rawson. National Trust. J.M. Robinson, Guide to the Country Houses of the North West, 1988.
========================================
Source - Mannix & Whellan, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847 http://www.stevebulman.f9.co.uk/cumbria/stbees.html
St. Bees Parish
...
Nether Wasdale is a chapelry, at the foot of Wast Water, about 9 miles N.E. by N. of Egremont. Wast Water14 is a lake connected with the river Esk, situated six miles east of Ravenglass, and eight miles west of the sea. This lake is about three miles long, half a mile broad, and forty-five fathoms deep, its bottom being about fifteen fathoms below the level of the sea. It has never been known to freeze, which circumstance is probably owing to its great depth in proportion to its extent of surface. "The mountains environing Wast Water are lofty and majestic. Looking up the vale, Yewbarrow forms a fine apex; Kirkfell pushes forward its bold front on the left; at the head of the vale the pyramidical Gable appears conspicuous. Lingmell comes finely in view on the right, over which Scawfell and the Pikes reign pre-eminent. The Haycock may be seen through the lateral vale of Bowderdale, and the Pillar crowns the head of the branch called Mosedale15; Middlefell16, running along the margin of the lake on the spectator's side, and the Screes on the opposite complete the panorama. In short, Wast Water affords many peculiarities well worth visiting once, but not sufficiently to yield that increased degree of pleasure in a second and third inspection, that would be experienced on Derwent, Ullswater, or Windermere17. This lake abounds in trout and contains a few char. Boats are kept by the neighbouring gentlemen for the diversion of angling. There are two good public houses at Nether-Wasdale, one mile and a half from the foot of the lake.
The lake cannot be traversed on its south-east side owing to the great profusion of loose stones, (called the Screes) which here extend from near the summit of the mountain, quite into the water, and rest upon so steep a declivity, that the slightest disturbance in any part communicates a sliding or rolling motion, which frequently extends to a considerable distance, and continues many minutes before quiet can be restored. There are only two tarns18 connected with this water, and they are in such a lofty and sequestered situation, near the foot of the Haycock mountain, that tourists do not often visit them.
The chapel, which is ten miles distant from the mother church, was certified to the governors of queen Anne's bounty at £5, and, in 1835, as of the average value of £66. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the incumbent of St. Bees, and in the impropriation of Edward Stanley, Esq., M.P., the tithes having been purchased by his ancestor of the same name, from Sir Thomas Chaloner, to whom they had been granted on the dissolution of the Priory of St. Bees. The chapel was enlarged, and a new vestry added to it, about 19 years ago, at the sole expense of S. Rawson, Esq. who also rebuilt the school about seven years since. The Rev. John Douglas is the present incumbent, and has a neat parsonage house here, erected by himself about thirteen years ago. General Wyndham is lord of the manor, which is divided into small estates, mostly occupied by their owners. A sheep fair is held here on the first Monday in September. The sum of £2 10s. the interest of an old charity, is given to the poor at Easter.
Wasdale Hall, the beautiful seat of Stansfield Rawson, Esq. occupies a picturesque situation amid this barren district; and here is also the rural retreat of Charles Rawson, Esq. called Gale Syke. Isaac Nicholson, who was ten years president of Lady Huntingdon's College, at Chester, was born here, in 1761, and died in 1807.
===================================
Source - Accommodation in Gosforth & Wasdale http://www.gosforthandwasdale.info/accommodation/
WASDALE HALL YHA
...
This distinctive half-timbered hall was built in 1829 for the wealthy banker, Stansfeld Rawson, with a south wing being added 10 years later. It is idyllically set in acres of woodland that Rawson planted, with the lake lapping a few feet from the sloping lawn, and the spectacular crags of Whin Rigg filling the view. The Hall is now owned by The National Trust, and became a Youth Hostel in 1969.
...
====================================
Source - http://janelittle.members.beeb.net/Raby_to_Reeves.htm
Cumbrian Genealogy
DIRECTORIES
The source of the entries appearing in the listings at the end of each entry are :-
(1829) - The Principal Inhabitants of Cumberland and Westmorland 1829 - Roland Grigg
(1847) - The Principal Inhabitants of Cumberland 1847 - Roland Grigg
(1855) - Harriett Martineau's Directory of the Lake District 1855 - Edited by Roland Grigg
(1901) - Bulmer's Directory of Cumberland 1901 - An alphabetical index compiled by Roland Grigg
...
RAWSON Chas Gale Syke Nether Wasdale (1847)
RAWSON H banker Carlisle (1847)
RAWSON Hubert banker London Rd Carlisle (1847)
RAWSON John Market Place Penrith(1829)
RAWSON Stanfield Wasdale Hall (1855)
RAWSON Stansfield Crookhead Nether Wasdale(1829)
RAWSON Stansfield Wasdale Hall (1847)
RAWSON The Misses B and K confectioners Corn market Penrith (1901)
....
======================================
Source -
Could this be something to do with his Glenholt estate??
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:33:01 EST
From:
To: CUMBERLAND-L@@rootsweb.com
Message-ID:
Subject: [CUL] WCT Wednesday June 12 1895 Telegraphic News (part two)
Latest
Telegraphic News
(Press Association Telegrams)
"Times Office," Midnight.
(Part Two)
******
The Strange Will Suit
The case of SALISBURY v. RAWSON, in which the issue was as to the
paternity of a baby 15 months old, which was put forward as the heir to a large
estate in Yorkshire was resumed yesterday, before Mr. Justice HAWKINS and a
special jury in the Queen's Bench Division of the High Court. Mr. JELF, Q. C.,
appeared for the plaintiff, and Sir E. CLARKE, Q. C., for the defendants, who
were the trustees of the estate.
******
Individual Notes
Note for: Charles Collinson Rawson, 13 DEC 1840 - 1928 Index
Occupation:
Date: 1877
Place: Cattle Rancher, Mackay, Queensland, Australia
Occupation:
Date: 1891
Place: Secretary to two public companies
Individual Note:
Source - IGI Individual Record
Charles Collinson Rawson
Male
Event(s):
Birth: 13 DEC 1840 Boldon, Durham, England
Christening:
Parents:
Father: Charles Stansfield Rawson Family
Mother: Octavia Collinson
Marriages:
Spouse: Winifred Gorst
Marriage: 30 AUG 1870
Messages:
Record submitted by a member of the LDS Church.
=====================================
Source - FreeBMD Births
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Births Mar 1841
RAWSON Charles Collinson S Sheilds 2219_
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1870
Harrison Winifred Hartlepool 10a197
Rawson Charles Collinson Hartlepool 10a197
=====================================
Source - 1871, 1881 England & Wales Census
Not found (as expected, they were in Australia)
=====================================
Source - 1891 England & Wales Census
Rawson, Charles C50Boldon, DurhamHead St Pancras LondonSecretary to two public companies
Rawson, Geoffrey E11Tynsmouth, NorthumberlandSon St Pancras London
Rawson, Lionel R15QueenslandSon St Pancras London
Rawson, Winfred42Hart, DurhamWife St Pancras London
Living: Bisham Gardens, London
-------------------------------------
and son Charles (cf. Rawson Archive, State Library of Queensland):
Rawson, Charles S19AustraliaHead Loughborough LeicestershireStudent of Electircal Engineering
Living: 48, Toothill Road, Loughbrough
=====================================
Source - 1901 England & Wales Census
NameAge in 1901BirthplaceRelationshipCivil ParishCounty/Island
Charles E Rawson60 Boldon, Durham, EnglandHead Erith KentLiving on own means
Winifred Rawson52 Hart, Durham, EnglandWife Erith Kent
Ernest C Mac Kellas18 ScotlandBoarder Erith Kent Mechanical Engineer
Alexander Schust18 Fra French SubjectServant Erith Kent
Living: 4, Bexley Road, Erith, Kent
Son Charles not found
======================================
Source - The Rawson Archive, State Library of Queensland, http://www.rawson.slq.qld.gov.au/asp/index.asp?sid=1313&page=memories_archived
These comments were received at the exhibition of The Rawson Archive at State Library of Queensland. The exhibition was held at the State Library of Queensland's South Bank building during mid-2003.
Congratulations to State Library for acquiring and presenting this interesting slice of Queensland’s early history. A wonderful exhibition. Charles Collinson Rawson and Edmund Stansfield Rawson (Charlie and Ned) were brothers of my great grandfather, Lancelot Bernard Rawson, who was also a resident of “The Hollow” for a time. His wife, Mina, wrote cookery books under the name Mrs Lance Rawson. Their daughter, Winifred was probably named after Charles’ wife.
Enjoyable and informative exhibition. Surprising to see the clothes they used to wear in the Queensland heat
Interesting insight into pioneer humour. From a political stance, not much has changed. They view society pretty much as we do but in the limitations of their era.
An excellent permanent record of Queensland’s pioneering history and of my ancestors ie grandmother was Winifred Rawson (then Swanick).
...
-------------------------------------------
Rawson Family
The brothers returned to England to marry, Charles marrying Winifred and Edmund marrying Decima.
Charles and Winifred had four boys, three of whom survived to adulthood. The antics of the two eldest boys are portrayed throughout the diaries and albums. Charles (Paddy) and Lionel or (Plum Bun) are depicted with their favourite toys and pets. Their birthdays and first tottering steps are charmingly illustrated.
Edmund and Decima produced three girls named Beatrice, Sybil, and Dorothy. They lived at The Nyth, a house built next door to The Hollow.
Both Edmund and Charles and their respective families moved between England and Australia. Charles died in the old country in 1928 and Edmund in 1911. The Hollow cattle station partnership was dissolved in 1914.
The Sons of Winifred and Charles Rawson
These three sketches illustrate the antics of Charles Junior (Paddy) and Lionel (Plum Bun). Their brother Harry was born in 1874 and died at The Hollow in1876, his tombstone being one of the few physical remnants of the Rawson’s tenure. A younger brother Geoffrey was born in 1879.
Through the caricature of young Lionel as Mr P Bun we are made privy to household comedy, the nickname presumably justified by another sketch in which we observe Lionel’s fondness for plum puddings.
The centre sketch details an incident concerned with Paddy’s wheelbarrow which would suggest that relations between fathers and sons have enduring qualities.
Individual Notes
Note for: Reginald Freke Williams, 12 MAR 1835 - AFT 1900 Index
Occupation:
Date: 1881
Place: Barrister (not practising)
Individual Note:
Source - LDS IGI Individual Record
REGINALD FREKE WILLIAMS
Male
Event(s):
Birth: 12 MAR 1835
Christening: 13 APR 1835 Saint Andrew, Holborn, London, England
Parents:
Father: ROBERT VAUGHAN WYNNE WILLIAMS
Mother: MARIANNE
Messages:
Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record.